From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 22:19:33 -0400
At the organizations I have worked I have always had volunteer policies that
were separate from but in many respects paralleled our employee policies.
Each volunteer job had a specific job description with training requirements
and expected time commitments clearly stated (evaluations were also done as
with regular employees). In this arrangement docents would fall under the
general volunteer policy with special training as part of requirement for
filling that particular job description.

The five-month training program appears to be extremely lengthy for a tour
guide. I would not allow a differentiation between two distinct types of
volunteers-this will inevitably lead to conflict. If you rely extensively on
volunteer help you should have a volunteer coordinator (best if paid) under
whom all volunteers are placed.

In my experience, contracts are good (as long as all this is not too onerous
in terms of legalisms and length). I have even put volunteers on a time
clock so that time computation and associated rewards could be more easily
calculated (this idea had some resistance from some volunteers, who were
accommodated as to their concerns). Computers have made this process
painless. Volunteers who failed to meet expectations/contracts were
outplaced. Often we would suggest other institutions they could assist. In
one instance, a contract with a volunteer saved our organization significant
money and legal hassles when a volunteer had to be fired while in a foreign
country. A well-written contract can serve as a solid release from certain
liabilities.
Nicholas Burlakoff