From:
"Thomas A. Reitz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 11:10:43 -0400
For all you living history sites, nature centres, arboreta and similar
outdoor facilities ... we're in the process of replacing wood boardwalks
that snake through our living history village.  These are unpainted,
untreated wood surfaces and our plan is to use rough sawn lumber.

One of the concerns that has been raised by staff and visitors is that when
the wood surface gets worn down and then wet from rain or snow, they are
very slippery.  In the winter, we shovel and throw down a de-icer.  But
when the wood is wet from rain, there doesn't seem to be a lot we can do.

We don't want to afix rubberized treads because not only will they look
dreadful, they have a habit of being pulled up and then cause a tripping
hazard.  And we don't want to throw down sand because it will get tracked
into the historic buildings.

Has anyone confronted this and how have you dealt with it?  Would
appreciate suggestions.

Thomas A. Reitz
Manager/Curator
Doon Heritage Crossroads