From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 20:01:02 -0400
Andrew S. Richmond-The Papers of Philander Chase 8/25/97 3:07 PM

>Whether I volunteer for a museum or not, I would still collect whatever I
>want.  I doubt I would be volunteering in the acquisitions department, so I
don't
>see where the conflict arises (unless I'm stealing, which is a whole different
>issue).  Even if I'm paid to dust the collections at the local historical
>society, why should that prevent me from purchasing a piece of local
>memorabilia that I find while on vacation in Lincoln, Nebraska?
>

>Andrew Richmond

As with so many rules and standards, this "code" is written not so much
to dictate behavior, but to provide guidelines for avoiding
misunderstandings, that can ultimately have profound negative
consequences for the museum.  I have yet to meet a volunteer, museum
staff person, or director who could not reach common ground on this issue
if a staff or volunteer wants to collect within the same range as the
museum for which he or she works.   I doubt many museums would have a
problem with that piece of brick a brack you found in Lincoln.  But allow
me to add my own example.  When on an artifact "run" to a recently
defunct violin manufacturer, a sometime volunteer, sometimes contractor
kept saying things like "Wow, your're donating that? I know people who
would pay top dollar for that."  or things like that.  Since he was a
contractor who specialized in historic restoration, he could easily have
made a profit either directly or indirectly convincing that person to
sell, not donate, historic pieces to himself or his suppliers.  This
meant that he was using his affiliation to the museum (which got him
access to the site _before_  the for-profit construction community, a
requirement before demolition or reuse of many historic buildings or to
meet some government loan requirements) to benefit professionaly at the
expense of the institution that expected him to serve their interests
when on their business, whether he was being paid or not. (Personally I
think he was just being stupid not crooked, but ethics codes and site
regulations are to prevent the pitfalls of both)  This also works against
the Museum's reputation because if word of it gets around the local
heritage community, it will damage the museum's  standing as a collecting
and preserving heritage institution, and could theoretically, if the
violations were eggregious enough, threaten the Museum's non-profit
status.  And, the problem is even worse for art museums when even the
existence of another interested buyer at an auction can drive up the
price of a coveted piece of art.

Personally, whether staff or volunteer,  I say go to your flea markets
and used book stores and buy away, just be open with your curators and
librarians about your actions.  And, to be honest, if you cannot work out
a mutually acceptable policy then maybe the relationship just wasn't
meant to be.

Thanks for your time