Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2011 08:04:26 +1300
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free web compendium,
read weekly by 8,000 readers in more than 201 countries.

***   "I love reading Global Museum. I look forward to the articles every
week. The information keeps me informed about what is going on in the museum
community and urges me to explore museums and exhibits online that I may
have never known about. Thanks!"  - User Feedback   ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org  and click on the news links) in this
week's edition include:

**  Military secures Egyptian Museum after artifacts damaged
Would-be looters broke into the Egyptian Museum and damaged at least a dozen
antique pieces, including two mummies which were decapitated

**  Egypt's Tombs, Temples Under Siege
The West Bank, where the mortuary temples and the Valley of the Kings are
located, is without any security, with only villagers trying to protect the
sites

**  Museums: bland, academic and failing to speak to our souls?
What I didn't want, or need, was a label saying: "Consider the impermanence
of things" in order to "bring on" a set of emotional or spirtitual or moral
reflections

****  HAPPY TRAVELLERS - BEST FARES & DEALS FOR 2011! ****
MUSEUM-TRAVELLER.COM  -  Global Museum's Travel Service For Business and
Pleasure - the  leading provider of online museum travel, established in
1998.
40,000 in over 8,000 cities worldwide. Group Reservations. Interactive Map
with the world's top festivals and events.
CLICK HERE http://www.museum-traveller.com - Use IE browser - Airfares, Car
Rentals, Accommodation, Destination Guides, Condo's and  Cruises!  Provider
is a member of I.A.T.A.

**  Farrah Fawcett's red swimsuit goes to US museum
The red swimsuit that helped make "Charlie's Angels" actress Farrah Fawcett
a 1970s icon became part of the Smithsonian museum's collection Wednesday on
what would have been her 64th birthday

**  Philly museum removes mummies after China objects
A museum just days away from opening a long-awaited exhibit of mummies and
other historical artifacts from China is gutting the display at the request
of Chinese officials

**  Museum says unearths "only" film of Ballets Russes
A dance enthusiast has discovered what London's Victoria & Albert Museum
says was the only known film footage of a Diaghilev Ballets Russes dance
performance

**  'Punk' art rocks Rome in new exhibition
The Sex Pistols music blares out incongruously from Rome's stately Villa
Medici, once home to powerful aristocracy and now the prestigious French
Academy which is staging the first ever retrospective into Punk visual art

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 638?
Join the Global Museum Social Network - Meet & Make Friends, Share Photos &
Videos, Blog, Use the Forum, Join A Group.
Become one of our first 700 members -  639 have already met online.  Join
Today At  http://globalmuseum.ning.com

**  The Smithsonian's lost integrity
Historians, researchers and curators at our national museums must be able to
examine all of our history with determination, fearlessness and fealty to
the facts

**  Nelson embraces technology to connect with visitors
In a recent interview, Zugazagoitia enthusiastically described the content
provided by the smart phone as a "digital living encyclopedic label for the
object."

**  The Permanent Collection May Not Be So Permanent
Cultural institutions like the National Academy Museum and the Rose Art
Museum at Brandeis University have generated controversy by selling or even
considering selling items to cover operating costs, a practice forbidden by
the professional association for art museum directors

**  Museum launches Cockroach Tours to explore climate change
One of the oldest and toughest life forms on the planet, having outlived the
dinosaurs, the hardy cockroaches will take in the Museum's Energy Hall,
Exploring Space and Making the Modern World galleries before completing
their journey in the Atmosphere gallery

TWEET TWEET - Follow Us On Twitter!   http://www.twitter.com/globalmuseum
29,926 News Tweets, 1,361 Followers worldwide and growing fast

**  Monticello Makes Ale Inspired By Past
Among the third president's lesser-known pursuits was making beer, and
modern-day visitors to his mountaintop estate at Monticello can soon get a
taste of the past

**  Historian accused of altering Lincoln document at National Archives
As the accusations flew over who altered the documents, Archives officials
acknowledged that, in balancing security with providing open access to
government records, they were too trusting

**  Google goes high brow
Google has gone all high brow on us, unveiling its Art Project, a
collaboration with art museums around the world to enable people to enjoy
their collections without leaving the house

**  Art museums to bet on Super Bowl
In a friendly but substantial Super Bowl bet, the directors of the Milwaukee
Art Museum and the Carnegie Museum of Art, in Pittsburgh, have each wagered
an Impressionist painting on their home-state football teams - the Green Bay
Packers and the Pittsburgh Steelers

Become a FAN -  Join 665 of  us on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

**  Museum attendance dips 3 percent in 2010
Attendance was down at Chicago's major museums and zoos, but the
institutions were still a big draw with 14.4 million people visiting them in
2010

**  Berlin museum presents statues from Syria resurrected after
near-destruction in WWII
Unearthed in present-day Syria a century ago, the 3,000-year-old basalt
statues and stone reliefs in the exhibition, "The Tell Halaf Adventure,"
shattered into thousands of pieces when their Berlin home was destroyed by
bombing in 1943

**  Greatest Palaeontology Fakes Of All Time
Chinese museums are riddled with examples such as these, which is a real
pain for any researcher in that they have to spend many days separating the
real fossil "wheat" from the faked "chaff"

**  Jacqueline Kennedy's pink hat is a missing piece of history
But if there is a lasting emblem that sums up Nov. 22, 1963, the day America
tumbled from youthful idealism to hollow despair, it is Jacqueline Kennedy's
rose-pink suit and pillbox hat

The Global Museum Daily Tweet. Global Museum's new daily newspaper powered
by your museum tweets - Enjoy! http://paper.li/globalmuseum/1288898965

**  This Week's Horoscopes
Aquarius - Help out your friends and relatives with a sensitive issue this
week. Clearly label all your worldly possessions with the name of the
intended recipient by about 8:15 on Friday night

**  Museum of Performance & Design Sketch-In
Friday, February 25, 2011 Museum of Performance & Design - San Francisco

**  Making Museums Matter: Integrating Collection and Exhibition Programs
with College Curriculum
University and college associates will provide examples of innovative or
interdisciplinary models in which an academic museum or gallery has been
able to deepen its integration into the parent institution's curriculum and
mission and has become an active leader in helping to support and define the
academic life and culture of campus.

**  Museums Count Workshop: Data Definitions Expert Reviewers Group
Experts Discuss Data Priorities for the IMLS Museums Count Project

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, PODCASTS, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their
RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable WORLD TRAVEL, the GM Social Network,
Museum Online Document Store, Podcasts, Museum Accredited Courses, Products
& Services.

http://www.globalmuseum.org     First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!

BLOG READERS  & MUSEUM WEB SITES - Use our  RSS news feed on your site, from
this address: http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/GM2/gm.xml