From:
Paul Orselli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 10:07:31 -0400
On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:07:04 -0400, Matthew White <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Well, I have just searched all the lice web pages and they all say you CAN
>catch lice via shared hats and clothes although one site does draw a
>distinction between head lice & body lice.  So, until I find the other
>citation that claims this may be a myth, I retract my earlier statement.

Regarding head lice:

The two links below connect to two of the world's foremost
experts on the head lice/public health issue.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/headlice.html

http://www.healthcare.ubc.ca/lice/

A colleague and I have both had personal conversations with
the primary researchers at both Harvard and The University of British
Columbia, and they BOTH stated that their is NO PROBLEM with head lice and
hats in a museum setting. There is not one bit of scientific evidence or
research to show otherwise.

The problem lies with misinformation and the public's continuing
impression that hats spread lice.

My personal experience is that if you have to use hats in an exhibition
use durable plastic hats.  Visitors seem to less trouble accepting plastic
hats than fabric ones.

Good Luck!

Paul Orselli
Director of Exhibits