From:
Marie Nordmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 16:13:28 -0500
This may not happen at your museum, but what if you accession something
that is either not in one of the pre-determined categories or is in 'both'
categories? Where would you put it? I'd go with your method. If you
really want to know how many lithostones you have you'd do a search on the
category field anyway, not look at the accession numbers. In my opinion,
one should use accession numbers as chronological and numerical
indicators, and not as classifiers.

Good luck!

Marie Nordmann, Registrar, Washington Univ. Gallery of Art