From:
"Yasui, Machida" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 1996 10:43:00 +0900
Dear Museum-L Colleague,
I have just received a message of warning against
an internet e-mail virus infection, which ought to be taken of
high seriousness.

It is worth to pass this message to friends, too.

Your Colleague in Machida, Tokyo.

Yasui Ryo

************************************
Dear SPANIT user,
One of our users has brought to our attention a very
important piece
 of information of which you should be aware....
SUBJECT:  VIRUSES--IMPORTANT PLEASE READ IMMEDIATELY
There is a computer virus that is being sent across
 the Internet.   If you receive an e-mail message with
the  subject line "Good  Times",
 DO NOT  read  the  message,  DELETE itimmediately.
Please read the messages below.  Some  miscreant
 is sending  e-mail under  the title "Good Times"
nation  wide, if you  get anything like this,

 DON'T DOWN LOAD THE FILE! Ithas a  virus that
rewrites your  hard  drive, obliteratinganything on it.
Please be careful and forward this mail
to anyone you care about.
WARNING!!!!!!!  INTERNET VIRUS
The FCC  released a warning last Wednesday concerning a
 matter of  major  importance  to  any  regular  user
of the internet.
Apparently  a   new  computer  virus  has been
 engineered by  a user of AMERICA ON LINE that is
unparalleled
 in its destructive capability.  Other more well-known
 viruses
such as  "Stoned",  "Airwolf"  and  "Michaelangelo"
 pale in comparison to  the prospects  of this  newest
creation  by a warped mentality.
What makes this virus so terrifying,  said
 the FCC,  is the  fact that  no program needs to be
exchanged for a  new computer to be infected.
It can be spread  through the existing e-mail systems
of the Internet.  Once a  Computer is infected,
 one of  several things  can  happen.    If  the
computer contains  a hard  drive, that  will most
 likely be destroyed.
 If the  program is  not stopped,  the  computer's
processor will be placed in an nth-complexity
infinite  binaryloop -which can severely damage the
processor if left  runningthat way too long.
 Unfortunately, most  novice  computer  users  will not
realize what is happening until it is far too late.
Luckily, there is one sure means of detecting what is
now known as  the "Good Times"  virus.
 It always travels to new computers  the
same way  in a  text email message  with  the subject
 line reading "Good  Times".   Avoiding infection  is
 easy once  the file has been received- not reading it!
The act of  loading the file into the mail server's
 ASCII buffer causes the  "Good Times" mainline program
to initialize and execute.
The program is highly intelligent- it will send copies of
 itself to  everyone whose  e-mail address  is contained in a
 receive-mail file or a sent-mail file, if it can find
 one.  It will then proceed to trash the computer it is
 running on.  The bottom line  here is - if you receive
 a file with the  subject line "Good  Times", delete  it
 immediately!   Do not read  it"
Rest assured  that whoever's  name was on the "From"
 line  was surely struck  by the  virus.   Warn your
 friends and local system users  of this newest threat
to the Internet! It  could save them a lot of time and
 money.

 Please heed this warning. We at SPAN Information
Technology  will make ever effort to be the first to
 identify the virus and remove it from the server
 if it happens to come our way. However, should the virus
get  through to you,
 DO NOT READ THE MESSAGE. DELETE IT RIGHT AWAY.
Best Regards

SPAN Information Technology Inc.

Masahiko Ono
e-mail: [log in to unmask]