From:
"Elizabeth A. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 09:16:50 -0500
Well, coming from a natural history museum we have...

1.  Final approval for deaccessioning is to the Board on the argument that
they have ultimate fiduciary (and other) responsibility for the museum
therefore they should have the ultimate authority.  Deaccessions run through
our Executive Director in the process of approval, but do not end there.

2.  We do not contact donors prior to deaccessioning.  Our primary reasons
for deaccessioning are either that things (like library books or equipment)
were mistakenly accessioned in the past or an object has been damaged beyond
repair or use and will be destroyed.  In both of those cases we have not
felt that there was any need to contact the original donors, nor is it
required in our collections policy.

3.  We sell nothing that has ever been a part of the permanent collection.
It is explicitly forbidden in our collections policy to sell any specimen
that has been deaccessioned.  This eliminates the temptation of
deaccessioning specimens to sell and raise money, should fiscal times get
tough.  When specimens are deaccessioned, they are offered as a donation to
other museums, universities, educational centers, etc.  We also feel that it
sends a conflicting message about the reasons we collect, our efforts to
discourage a market for specimens/artifacts, and the value of the specimens.
After all, if we were to collect objects for resale, how could we discourage
others from doing the same?  Even a <lot> of explaining to John Q. Public
that the specimen that you are selling was originally donated years ago, no
longer has a place in the permanent collection,  and can benefit the museum
by generating revenue would not necessarily address that potential conflict.

None of our curators (all natural historians), Board members, or Director
have objected to these procedures.

Dr. Elizabeth A. Moore, Curator of Collections
Virginia Museum of Natural History
1001 Douglas Avenue
Martinsville, VA  24112