From:
valerie colston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 2015 10:10:06 -0700
Maker Spaces Designed for Museums Begins August 3rd (4 Week Online Format)

Enroll at http://www.artmuseums.com/makerspace4museums.htm

Online Workshop (Access 24/7)

There is a kind of revolution going on in programming and museums are
one of the leaders of the movement.  Whether you call them Maker,
Community, or Hacker Spaces, these DIY working areas in libraries and
museums have become a popular meeting and creative program space for
patrons of all ages.   Join other museums who have already attended
this class in learning about Makerspaces for Museums.

This timely workshop will outline what Maker Spaces are and where they
are located. The workshop will explore the best examples, and present
how to advice, practical idea suggestions, and resources for creating
STEAM programming, hands on collaboration and learning into your
museum or learning center. See what others are doing. Whether you are
a small or large museum, this workshop is for you.

Whether you are an Art, Science, History, Children's, Natural History
Museum or other this class is for you.  Even if you don't have the
space, budget, funding, or staff right now,  this class will benefit
you. You will get an opportunity to plan your Maker Space and network
with others who have or are in their way to creating a place and
programming.

 Much more than a make it and take it, Maker Spaces provide the tools,
instruction, and company of others that inspire and enable creative
making.

Just a few comments from Past Museum Staff Participants:

I now have a much better understanding of the variety of making that
can be done in a maker space (it's not just electronics and robotics.)
-As well as the value of high quality materials and giving people
choices.

I have a much clearer understanding of all of the possibilities for a
Maker Space. We are already doing many aspects of it, with a focus on
arts, and I am excited to use my new knowledge to advance our
offerings to include more science, engineering, and math. This has
been perfectly timed, as I am currently developing a plan to better
utilize our second floor. Thank you!

STEM is one area where I feel our museum is lacking. We have a strong
focus on Art, but the other areas do not get a lot of attention. In
this unit I have learned that those are areas we need to ramp up our
attention if we want to engage a larger number of our visitors.

I loved the example from the Exploratorium on the Valentine's Day
themed "group build." The chain reaction "machine" with visitors
contributing to various sections of the whole was impressive. I would
love to do something similar for one of our "Mix'd Media" evenings for
young adults.

The reminders for "safety first" were excellent.

I would use this week's information when planning a space, either
temporary or permanent, and when designing an activity.

Participants will receive excellent resources that they can begin
using immediately to plan and present a Maker-station and Space
program of their own.

Online Workshop 12 hours Overall ( A non-credit Thank you for
Participating Certificate will be distributed to those finishing the 4
week workshop)

Access the workshop at your own convenience 24/7.  Ask about Group
Discount.  Museum Invoice Accepted or Pay on the Secured Site below
through PayPal.

Unit 1-This week we will explore the definition of MakerSpace. We will
look at specific examples in various libraries and museums and begin
to learn how to create one yourself in your own space.

Unit 2-Week 2 we will continue to look at techniques for creating a
maker-station, tools and supplies you will need, and how to locate
materials and experts to facilitate programming. Safety issues will
also be addressed.  You will also explore designing space and skills
that participants might learn?

Unit 3-The best of Makerspace programming ideas. This week we will
look at museums that have been successful in creating effective
workspace programming. What do they know, that will help you?

Unit 4-Sorting programs using Age, Interest, and Budget as a factor.
Create a MakerSpace program idea proposal.

Instructor Valerie Colston, M.A. (BA UCSD) is a university art
instructor and author with many years of experience developing and
presenting art programs. She has taught 100 Art Ideas for Teachers at
the University of California, Extension in San Diego, California and a
variety of Art history courses online through colleges and
universities. Her book 200 Projects to Strengthen Your Art Skills
published by Barrons Educational Series has received outstanding
reviews appearing in School Library Journal, National Art Education
Association newsletter, and more. Her "It's Easy to be a Green Teen"
appeared in the youth librarian publication Voices of Youth Advocates.
Colston is the author of Teens Go Green! Tips, Techniques, Tools and
Themes for YA Programming. Libraries Unlimited Professional guides for
Young Adult Librarians Series was published in December 2012.  Both
books have been at times on the Bestseller list on Amazon in their
respective catagories.  Her artwork was included in a juried group
show titled HOME at the Orange County Center for Contemporary Art.

For more information Contact-Valerie Colston [log in to unmask]

Sign Up Today.  Workshop starts August 3, 2015. This is a 4 week
online workshop is $79.00 (USD)  UK, Canadian, Australian and other
currency accepted on the Pay Pal secure website.

You may purchase the class through pay pal below or if you prefer an
invoice contact me at [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
School, Museum and Library checks are also accepted upon approval.

Purchase this class today at