From:
"Thomas A. Reitz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 10:23:46 -0400
Max - As you know, there are many options to weigh when it comes to
costumes versus uniforms.  While all of our volunteers and staff wear
reproduction clothing befitting our restoration date (excluding office,
gift shop and admissions staff), something I've seen that I like - and
would be relatively inexpensive - are canvas aprons.  I'm not thinking of
aprons with frilly lace edging, but rather the kind that might be described
best as barbeque aprons.  I've seen these used in science centres and
children's museums quite effectively - they usualy have some pockets to put
things in and they can be screened with your logo.  Recently I was looking
at these for another purpose, and the cost was around $10. each - often
companies that deal with promotional items for conferences, promotional
give aways, etc. supply these.  You could sell them in your gift shop, use
them as give aways yourself, etc.

At 10:26 PM 10/17/1997 -0700, you wrote:
>The Homestead Museum is currently discussing whether to adopt a
>"uniform" for docents and volunteers who work during special events and
>on tours.  We currently suggest casual business clothes (we're in
>California) but now considering everything from a simple vest to
>reproduction costumes.  Some volunteers have expressed an interest since
>visitors don't recognize who to ask for help, despite our volunteers
>wearing name badges.  We realize cost of manufacture and maintenance is
>an important factor, so we're more interested in knowing your experience
>with the benefits of uniforms and what type of uniform has been the
>most/least successful.
>
>Thanks!
>
>--
>Max A. van Balgooy, Assistant Director
>mailto:[log in to unmask]
>
>Homestead Museum
>  15415 East Don Julian Road   Industry, CA  91745-1029
>  Telephone (626) 968-8492  NEW AREA CODE!
>  Fax  (626) 968-2048
>  Website:  http://www.homesteadmuseum.org

Thomas A. Reitz
Manager/Curator