From:
Jason Dennison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 13:22:12 -0400
Staci,

Many of the answers to your questions depend on the type of job you are
looking for within the museum. Highlight those skills or
training/experience that make you ideal for a particular position. The
skills of a curator are different from those required of a dedicated
museum educator, which are different still from someone looking for an
administrative role.

Most HR staff in museums are not "museum folk", they come from business
or corporate backgrounds, so they have certain criteria they might look
for in a resume. The number one piece of advice I can provide is that no
matter HOW nice your resume looks, you should ALWAYS fill out an
application if one is available. Attach your resume, but DO NOT write
"See Resume" for experience, etc. HR Departments/staff spend a lot of
time developing the Application so that it has all of the information
they need "at a glance". Your resume is a great attachment for the
hiring manager, but HR could really care less. They need to get you in
the system and process your paperwork.

As far as cold calls, these can be effective, but networking is the best
way to find jobs and get insights as to the strength of the market for
new hires. You might also need to cast a wider geographic net if
possible. Most importantly, be prepared for the HUGE pay cut you will
probably have to take when moving from the classroom into the museum
world. Passion and love of the job are worth quite a lot, but make sure
you can afford the change.

Jason Dennison
Cincinnati Museum Center