From:
Michael Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 17:29:27 +0100

>What's "nuspeak?"  If this is a reference to some new (nu) 90s way of
>defining terms, relax.  I formulated my definitions of exhibit, display,
>etc. over a decade ago.

AT the risk of dragging this rather etiolated thread out even further
it's worth saying that "Newspeak" is a concept coined by George Orwell
in 1949, so predating this discussion by a long way. And a propos the
discussion on department store displays vs museum exhibit(ion)s it's
worth quoting Nicholas Penny reviewing "The New Museology" in the London
Review of Books: "To attract support today, great museums ... would be
ill advised to draw attention to [their] extensive collections ... they
have to present themselves as exciting places to shop."

Mick
Michael Cooper, Registrar, Nottingham Museums