From:
Ivy Strickler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 1996 13:43:16 -0400
>I have to correct a misconception that seems to be floating around:
>
>If a donor's intent is to escape tax, and if the donor knows *or has
>reason to know* that the recipient institution doesn't intend to use the
>gift in a way related to its mission, then it doesn't matter how long the
>gift is kept:  the donor was not entitled to a full deduction in the
>first place.
>
>This is another way of saying that a scam is a scam is a scam, and simply
>keeping a gift for two years doesn't alter the fact.

This is even more interesting! I agree totally, but is there any kind of
legal paragraph somewhere that someone can supply? Or any anecdotal
evidence of repercussions to donor or institution? Our development office
has gotten pretty enthusiastic over this kind of thing, to the dismay of
the museum committee. Any factual info would be helpful (by the way, our
legal people have been ok'ing this).

Ivy Fleck Strickler                     Phone 215-895-1637
Drexel University                       Fax 215-895-4917
Nesbitt College of Design Arts          [log in to unmask]
Philadelphia, PA 19104

"Never forget that life is like a Fellini movie, and you're getting to see
it for free=8A"