From:
Packwood House Museum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:32:34 -0400
My current museum does rent out some of our space to other
organizations (we have a two multipurpose areas, one of which
only holds exhibits a few weeks per year).  My last museum
did not charge a fee for non-profits with similar missions, which
was interpreted fairly broadly.

The reasoning is, I think, the same at both sites.  Bringing in
another organization is good community spirit, good PR, sometimes
good money, and brings in people who would likely never step
foot in the museum otherwise.  If you can make arrangements
for jointly sponsored programming, you get even more PR.  And
if you can make further arrangements for group tours, you get
more money, more visitors, and more exposure.

As far as I know, allowing another organization to solicit THEIR
membership here has never been allowed.  Now that's competition! :)

My only caveat is that a staff member (paid or unpaid) be on hand
during a function.  That is time-consuming, and may limit the
times you agree to this kind of function.

Sara Kelley
Packwood House Museum, Lewisburg, PA