From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:34:30 -0700
Laura,

You got excellent commentary by both Timothy's (and others) to your
question. I would add just one other note.

Since prints are made from negatives (and visa versa) it helps if you
think in terms of first generation or later generations of an image.
The 'first generation' of any image is usually the original negative,
but the earliest generation that you have may be a print. Either way,
the earliest generation you have is what you most want to protect
through accessioning into your collection, whether negative or print.
When both come together, I agree that both should be catalogued with the
same accession number.

When new negatives are made in the course of copying a print, that
negative should be saved with the same accession number as the print,
because it will be used to generate new prints. You can precede the
number with the letter 'n' if it helps, and be sure to note that it's a
copy neg.

Copy prints can be handled in anyway that works for the museum as they
are not collection items. But most of all, I'd avoid having more than
one number for the same image.

Lucy Sperlin

Original question: