From:
Jim Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 1995 01:11:15 -0700
"Gallery Software wanted" has mutated into "Kiosk interfaces urgently required"

Peter Holben Wehr <[log in to unmask]> writes

> There used to be hypertext programs available on the Mac, but I have not
> heard of any recently... I have never liked Director for this type of problem.
> Director is great for presentations, but I have always found it clumsy at
> best for information handling.

There are Hypercard (damn the C) programs for creating HTML documents, also
found at Netscape (home.mcom.com/). In some way or another, forge the HTML
documents to navigate kioskspace and use Netscape to view it on the local
system. A bit clunky now, but development should be rapid. And when you're
ready, just spring onto the Web.

As for handling information in Director, Heizer Software ([log in to unmask]
-- the dreaded AOL, cost me a fortune) markets a program called FileFlex, a
Hypercard xcmd "that provides the ability to embed a complete relational
database engine within your projects." Uses dBase file format, compatible
with Fox, Access, and Director -- "think of it as an extension to the Lingo
scripting language."

Sorry for two postings in a row, but hey, I couldn't help myself.

  .   Jim Swanson    . Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies
  . Banff, Alberta CANADA .                     .