From:
Brad Holderman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:28:51 -0700
To all,

Rather than debunk both Access and Filemaker Pro, what
about Oracle-Pl/Sql as a database engine in museum
environments?  As a database enginneer with an
education in archaeology, it seems that with proper
coding and maintenance anyhting is acceptable.

The big question for me is: Is a database implemented
by a museum based on budget costs, program-ability, or
preference by one or concensus of curators?

Cordially,
Brad Holderman
ARTIFACT INK - Documentation for the Archaeological
Science

--- Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Well, I've had this nagging issue in my mind with
> all
> the answers about FileMaker Pro as being the wizbang
> for museum databases.  Back when I used it, it was
> Mac
> only.  I went to the source
> http://www.filemaker.com/index.html and learned that
> FileMaker can now be used on multiple platforms.
> Back
> when, it was a good product, and I'm sure it
> probably
> still is, though there is much to be said about the
> power of Microsoft's Access.
>
> With that said, my curiousity has been piqued.  Is
> there a bias in the museum world with respect to
> type
> of computer system?  Are more of you (and if yes, I
> suspect it's more of the Art type museums) a Mac
> environment or a PC one?
>
> What operating systems are you using within that
> equipment?  Are you Windows, DOS, and/or Linux
> based?
>
> These may sound like nosey questions, but it's tough
> to recommend a database without knowing those two
> parameters.
>
> If cost is a consideration . . . and often it is . .
> .
> there's a good chance you may be operating outdated
> equipment.  It could get really frustrating trying
> make a silk purse out of a sow's ear when it comes
> puters, so I'm wondering how your equipment and
> operating systems factor into your database
> scenarios.
>
> Further, are you operating freestanding or on LANs?
> Will you have to share this database with others in
> your organization, and what documentation are you
> creating as a users manual in case you up and leave?
>
> It wasn't that long ago I was doing some database
> work
> (nothing super fancy). Fact is, I've trained on
> and/or
> used about three or four different types. The
> biggest
> problem about a database is trying to correct it if
> you just start out willy nilly and think you're
> going
> to design some great system without planning.  That
> usually means consulting with others to make sure
> the
> needs of many are incorporate in the one document
> before you start to build it.
>
> I think, as I'm working this out here, there OUGHT
> be some sort of a standard database for the museum
> world that is widely accepted as the template of
> choice, kind of like Raisers Edge (Blackbaud) often
> is
> on the fundraising side of it.
>
> What am I missing in this picture?  It seems to me
> that each of you is having to design your own
> instead
> of relying on a standard and making modifications
> for
> subtle nuances to your system.
>
> Seems to me this would be a good venture for an
> entrepreneur.

> [...]

=====
Cordially,

Brad Holderman
ARTIFACT INK
Documentation for the Archaeological & Biological Sciences