From:
Sabrina Henneman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:44:54 -0400
You can find values of newspapers on www.alibris.com and/or
www.abebooks.com
There probably isn't a huge value - most Civil War newspapers range
about $30-$40 dollars and I doubt that even Kennedy or WWII issues are
going to be higher than that. The problem with newer newsprint that it
doesn't hold up as well as older newsprint. Whether you keep them should
be dependent on your mission. If you have the donor information, let
them decide what to do with the ones you don't want. You could suggest
other places, but I wouldn't spend the time trying to find them another
home.

Gaylord's has a number of storage options for newspapers. They have
folders (like the kind used in map files) that are newspaper sized, or
Mylar sleeves, as well as boxes "designed" for newspapers. You could
also just interleave the papers with acid-free tissue and place in an
appropriate archival box. Flat is probably best, but if you put them in
an upright document box, make sure they have a spacer in the box to keep
them firmly upright, otherwise they'll bend and curve.

Sabrina Henneman
Registrar
Genesee Country Museum
www.gcv.org