From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 19:29:47 -0800
Tengo Casi 500 Anos: Africa's Legacy in Mexico, Central and South America.
On-line at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County.

http://www.nhm.org/

Just select "exhibits".  "Africa's Legacy in Mexico" is a part of the
"AFRICA:  One Continent.  Many Worlds." web site.

"The most important aspect of my portraits," says Los Angeles-based artist
Tony Gleaton, "is the giving of a narrative voice by visual means to people
deemed invisible by the greater part of society and, in so doing, crafting
an 'alternative iconography' of beauty, family, love, goodness... one that
is parallel to but outside the bounds of European-based art, one that is
inclusive, not exclusive.

"The photographs which I create are as much an effort to define my own
life, with its heritage encompassing Africa and Europe, as it is an
endeavor to throw open the discourse on the broader aspects of
'mestizaje'... the 'assimilation' of Asians, Africans and Europeans with
indigenous Americans."

Tony Gleaton's photographs are in the collections of the National Museum of
American Art, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, and many other
institutions, and his work has been exhibited throughout the U.S. and
Mexico. The images shown here are from his project entitled Tengo Casi 500
Anos: Africa's Legacy in Mexico, Central and South America.

Jim Angus
Web Site Producer
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90007

http://www.nhm.org

voice:    213/763-3317
fax:      213/746-2999
eMail:    [log in to unmask] = [log in to unmask]
web site  http://www.nhm.org/~jangus
          http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~aonghais/

When they told me I was average, they were just being mean.