From:
CWetherby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 17:43:06 -0400
conferences--

You may be as fortunate as I was to live in the general vicinity of the
upcoming conference and be able to work at the convention center as a
volunteer thereby being granted permission to attend several conference
sessions.  I was very lucky to have been living in the Philadelphia area
during the 1995 AAM Annual Conference.  Several of my museum contacts
brought to my attention a letter they had received from a volunteer
organizer (a volunteer herself, but appointed by the AAM) asking for
people to volunteer behind the scenes at the convention.  In return, for
every 4 hour shift I worked, I was granted a day pass to the entire
conference. So, I worked 4 hours each day (during sessions I did not want
to attend) and got in for free and made the same contacts I would have
made if I paid out of my own pocket.  And, being a member of the AAM
helped I am sure.  I was also granted permission to use the job center
during the conference, through which I was granted three interviews (and
two job offers!!)

Some times the convention center themselves will hire out labor for
conventions--you could get paid to "attend"!!  This is another avenue
which those of you (like myself) who cannot afford the high cost of
conferences.  (My only expenses were food and train fare.)

Carrie Wetherby
Langhorne, PA
Still unemployed, but looking!!!