From:
Taylor Felt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2012 13:56:34 -0800
Hi Sylvia,

I would like to respond as someone who has benefitted greatly from the
internships that I did. My experience is that internships vary by
university, program, and actually, by student. The most successful
internships that I had were truly a collaboration between myself and
the hosting museum, where the museum received skilled work in exchange
for providing a really fantastic learning experience (and later
reference). Having said that, I am not sure that a formalized, prefab
program would have worked well - my experience was more along the
lines of suggesting, or talking though an internship idea, agreeing on
a termed project with very clear institutional objectives and
individual learning goals (by the end of this project I would like to
be able to...), get the necessary approvals from educational
institutions, and then get to work. The danger in these kinds of
projects can be in no distinguishing between an internship and a
volunteer program - a friend of mine was stung pretty badly by a lack
of distinction between the two - she ended up feeling unappreciated,
learned very little, and the institution she was interning for felt
abandoned when the project ended.

You may want to consider putting together a group of projects that
take a higher level of museological skill, which you can whip out when
the next intern shows up (or is recruited). I am confident that you
and the other staff members at your museum have a ton to teach,
especially to those of us who are just beginning our careers, and I
applaud your willingness to share your expertise.

Good Luck!

Taylor Felt