From:
Laura Peers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 12:13:01 +0000
I am appealing to the collective knowledge of the museum-l list for
assistance in locating objects similar to one in the collections of the
Pitt Rivers Museum at Oxford. We have a small silvered-glass bottle,
probably 19thC, capped with wax, and said to contain a witch. It was
collected in Sussex around 1910 and PRM acquired it in 1929. Apparently
many European folk tales mention "bottle imps" (perhaps a borrowing from
Eastern tales of genies in various containers?); does anyone know of any
other such artefacts? One of our graduate students would like to focus on
this for her thesis.

With sincere thanks,
Laura Peers

Laura Peers