From:
Terry Vidal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 09:57:53 -0500
We use a polyvinylacetate, vinac b-15, for our undercoat/overcoat with
an acetone solvent. It is archivally sound. We no longer hand write
numbers if it can be avoided, and on most objects it can be avoided.  We
use 100% cotton rag acid free paper and a deskjet printer to produce the
numbers. This is very successful, since legible numbers can be produced
as small as 4 pt. fontsize (4 pt. fits on the edge of most coins). We
have been using this technique since 1994. There is little excuse not to
adopt this technique by other institutions. Who among us has not been
frustrated by an object whose number is completely illegible? Likewise,
who among us is not guilty of writing an illegible number on a minute
object? Deskjet printers can be purchased for less than $100.

My experiments with copier and laser printer toners have produced
unacceptable results.  Toner is affixed to paper through a heat transfer
process. It flakes off and smears (as it is dissolved by the solvent).
Ink from deskjet printers is absorbed into the paper, and the black ink
on cotton paper has been very stable for us.  We use Hewlett Packard
printers. I have inquired to Hewlett Packard for details on their black
ink with little success, except to be reassured that they have conducted
successful archival and permanency tests. Whatever that means.

I am amazed at the some of the bad advice I've seen concerning this
topic, particularly with the suggestion of using finger nail polish. Are
we still in the dark ages? The enthusiasm to offer assistance should not
overrule the need to supply _good_ advice. I obtained a five pound
sample of vinac b-15 at no cost from the manufacturer (Air Products). I
still have three pounds of it, and have given away at least a pound and
a half to other institutions in my area who want to pull themselves out
of the dark ages.  I feel I still have a lifetime supply of the stuff
too. It comes as itty-bitty beads (homopolymer) that we dissolve in
acetone to the consistency necessary. I understand that Air Products has
sold off the homopolymer side of their business. A quick look at the
Thomas Regional Industrial Directory (http://www.thomasregional.com/)
should prove fruitful.

On the other hand I have seen some good advice given too. This is
encouraging, so, take a deep breath, out with the bad and in with the
good:-) Please do yourselves and future generations of collections
managers' a favor by adopting this or a similar method.

                        TAG - YOU'RE 'IT'
Terry Vidal
Collections Manager
University Museum
University Of Northern Iowa

http://www.uni.edu/museum

                        If you can read this YOU'RE close enough.