From:
Joe Houston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:14:06 -0500
Indiana State Univerity Art Gallery
Travelling exhibitions for your consideration:

ETRUSCAN EXHIBITION
Our institution is organizing a travelling exhibition entitled "When God Was a Woman" which
examines the role of women in Etruscan art, culture and spiritual practice. The exhibition
curated by Stephen Smithers, a noted expert in the field, will feature rarely seen terra cottas
and metalwork from US collections. An interactive, multimedia CD authored by the curator
accompanies the exhibition. Related teaching materials for primary and secondary schools are
under development. The exhibition is scheduled to debut at Indiana State University in 2002 and
will be available for limited travel.

CONTEMPORARY AFRICAN EXHIBITION
We also have space on our itinerary for an upcoming exhibition of contemporary African art
entitled "Of Women, By Women" curated by Dr. dele jegede. This show of more than 40 paintings,
sculptures and textiles opens at Indiana State University in the Fall of 2000 and will travel to
select venues in 2001. A scholarly catalog will accompany the exhibition.

No loan fees have been set at this point and it is possible that there will be none. If you have
an interest in either show please contact me at the University Art Gallery for more details.
Thank you.

Joe Houston
Joe Houston, Director
Indiana State University Art Gallery