From:
Robert Lopata <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:41:11 PDT

I think by now it should be very clear that the legal precedent is that
funding cannot and should not be pulled after the fact as a punitive
measure, as in the current case. And as a board member I'm sure you know how
far in advance exhibition schedules are established, so this is certainly an
attack after the fact in all practical terms.

Finally, the percentages of who thinks what on this case are skewed
dramatically by the obvious fact that this well timed conflict has far less
to do with any specific artist or exhibition, but rather with an election. I
sometimes wish I could have back all the time I've spent in meetings while
working in museums, but that would have been the appropriate forum for this
discussion long before the show ever even made it onto the calendar. What we
have now is not a discussion at all but an ambush.

This whole thing makes me wish I were registered to vote in New York- even
though the damage has probably already been done by one man lending
credibility to this issue, and by too many museums not speaking out loudly
and quickly enough in reaction.

-Rob Lopata