Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 12:18:27 +0500
Sonja Johnston wrote:

> Robin Panza writes:
>  However, I find it hard to believe that
> anyone went into the extended training of grad school expecting to get rich!
> Didn't these people even glance at the job market while they were in high
> school?
>
> Sorry Robin, but I take exception to your answer. I (Sonja) have been working
> for more than 15 years now and know very well the status of the job market.
> My point was that my current job (which is mostly clerical, sometimes dull
> and usually unfulfilling but it pays the bills and I'm very glad to have it)
> pays $3 more an hour than the one that was mentioned in the article that I
> replied to. You don't need a university education for my job, but I'd hope
> that the director of education (for which they wanted to pay around $10/hour)
> had at least a Masters. The point is that we all know it's reality and I
> don't know anyone who's in this for the money - it's just a shame that the
> situation exists. For being well educated and for contributing probably
> significantly to the organization I'd like to be compensated more than
> $10/hour (which is insulting). I don't expect to get rich in this field, but
> fair is fair.
> Sonja

but then you need to realize that the job as you described it will not
be filled by a museum professional with 10 yrs of experience, becuase
that person will not even bother applying for it.  it will be filled by
an inexperienced new graduate who will see it primarily as a line on
their resume and a stepping stone for something bigger. that person,
will make mistakes and learn, and the hiring institution will get what
they paid for. they will get what they can afford.  not every job out
there is the "president of the S.I."  not every museum professional is
qualified to be the president of the S.I.

kjk