Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 12:08:16 +0500
JHANDLEY wrote:

>     Dear Robin Panza:
>
>     I am sorry to belabor my point, but please hear me on this
>     important issue:  When I write about the importance of better
>     salaries and benefits in the museum field, I am *not* stating that
>     we (the professionals) should push to get rich.  Getting rich has
>     never been the point of this discussion regarding salaries and
>     benefits in the field.
>
>     Once again I ask:  Why do we as professionals see such things as
>     medical coverage as an added benefit?  What other profession
>     out there does this philosophy transfer to?  Teachers?  Plumbers?
>     Accountants?

artists! it's ironic that after getting my B.A. in art i had to "sell
out" by getting a "real job" as a collections professional with zero
benefits but at least a steady income!  believe me.  there are lots of
people out there with no insurance because of their decision to go into
their particular profession.

>  Why are so many museum professionals
>     unwilling to say that they are worth a good salary and
>     benefits?
>
>     John Handley
>     San Francisco

don't get me wrong, however.  i'm with you when you suggest that
complaining is the only way to lead to change.  but, as it stands now,
you take the best job you cand get in the field or you go into another
field.  those are the practicalities of the matter. that's life on the
ground as we write. it's not necessarily a matter of "self worth."
it's a question of "what are you willing to sacrifice in order to do
what you want to do -- knowing the reality as is now?"

kjk