From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:26:54 -0400
One word - DON'T!!

No offense of film studios as I was a theatre major and have done film
work. Most film people don't "grok" (understand/comprehend/etc.) the
whole "irreplaceable historic artifact" thing. They can build items
that look just like "the real thing" so real antiques are no different
from "fake" antiques to props people.

Now if they will pay for one of your staff members to babysit it and
to only let it be used on a very limited basis, then I'd say okay. But
here's what you need IN WRITING before you agree:

1) Rental costs for the motocycle per day. I'd say like $500-$1000,
depending on the value, how rare it is, and what they plan on doing
with it.

2) They will pay the LOADED rate for a staff member to supervise it at
all times and overtime/doubletime if necessary. Standard meals and
breaks will also be given to the staff member.

3) Explicit details on how the bike will be used - set dressing,
actually ridden, someone just sitting on it, including approximate
days/hours the bike will be needed.

4) Proof of liability insurance that will cover the cost of the bike
should anything happen to it.

5) Full credit for your museum in the credits.

6) The museum and its designated staff have the power to modify or
stop filming of the bike at any time for any reason. Failure to comply
will result in fines and possible cancelation of contract.

7) If used off site, the film company is responsible for safe
transportation of the bike to and from the filming as well as adequate
storage during the filming. Note this is not a tarp thrown over the
bike at the end of the day but a locked trailer, garage, or other
secure storage unit safe from the elements. Or the film company will
pay the museum to transport and store the bike.

Charge them for any consultation time as well. It can go on for hours
and they are getting paid for it, you should too.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but that is the basics of it. Don't
let the film company sing you a sob story about their budget. They
have the budget and are just trying to be cheap. If they don't have
the budget, then how well do you think they will treat your artifact?

Good luck with it!!

Deb