From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 07:36:48 -0700
Hi,

This is always a complex situation because if a work is under
copyright protection and not in the public domain then the artist
and/or their heirs have to give permission for ANYTHING that is done
that materially affects the appearnace of an artwork. There have been
some major lawsuits in regards to this, so those of us in conservation
tread carefully and fully consult with the artists / owners of the
copyright of the work before doing any treatments.

I think that the process really benefits from all parties sitting down
(or doing a conference call) to go over what is intended and the
materials that are to be used. Many artists are unaware of the
inherent vices of many materials and having a knowledgable conservator
to suggest alternatives for the longevity of the work would be a
benefit. Since in the first case the aritst wants to improve the work
that is a different circumstance from an artist who wants to do a
repair.

I would say that in the case of the bubble wrap imprints that that one
lies more in the realm of a skilled conservator because we see this
sort of thing fairly often and have options for remedying it that may
be far less aggressive or disruptive than the approach that an artist
make take.

This should be a joint decision first between the curator /
conservator, and then with the artists invovled.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator