From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:43:40 -0400
Don't overlook the AAM bookstore as an information source. www.aam-us.org

Here you can purchase books such as:

Graduate Training in Museums: What Students Need to Know

Museums: A Place to Work--Planning Museum Careers

Museum Studies Programs: Guide to Evaluation

...and others

Good luck
Diane Gutenkauf

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:02:25 -0700, Katherine McLeister
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hello List:
>
>  I currently have a Bachelor's in History and have interned or worked
for two small historical societies for the last four years.  I had hoped
to find a job in the museum/historical society field that would allow
for 'on the job training' from a professional to supplement my Bachelor's,
but have not had much luck.  (My current employer has no formal
training.)  In watching and applying for job postings, it seems that jobs
are either part time and I couldn't support myself or they prefer/require
a Master's degree.  So, I am seriously thinking of pursuing a Master's
degree (possibly next fall) and would like your recommendations.

>  Ideally I want to work in a History Museum, but am open to work in any
kind of historical society/institution, archive, and/or library to be able
to support myself.  It would seem the safest option would be an MLIS (as
opposed to Museum Studies) to allow the largest number of job
possibilities.  However, I am concerned a MLIS program (even with
specialization in archives) will not give me the Collections
Management/Conservation and Artifact Handling training I would need to
work in a museum.  Is this correct?  Are there universities and/or
graduate programs that offer training in Library Science and Museum
Studies?  Are there any universities that are considered the top schools
in the Museum Community?

>  Please contact me off list with any input or suggestions.  Any help or
advise is appreciated.  Thank you!