From:
Jay Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 1996 15:09:26 -0500
Uhhh ... I don't think that the abandonment of the NY subways was *directly*
related to graffiti ... unless you really think that the vast majority of
New Yorkers are so 'aesthetically sensitive' ... perhaps the perception of
violent crime being rampant in the underground had more to do with it ...

michael maranda

Thanks, Michael. But I suspect you don't live in NYC. I do, and I ride the
subways daily -- and have never even witnessed any subway crime. I know
there's a problem, but I suspect there's more joking about it on talk shows
and depictions of it in action movies than real crime. This subway rider
suspects that the graffiti, which I've seen too much of, is the culprit,
rather than the "violent crime" of which I've only heard. Thanks for your
note!     Jay Fahey