From:
Janice Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:07:19 -0600
(N.B. This discussion has now moved from the museum-l listserv to the RCAAM
listserv, which is a members-only list and a benefit of membership in the
Registrars Committee of the American Association of Museums)

I think we need to remember that a signed Deed is not a legal requirement
for a gift to be complete.  All the law requires is that an offer be made,
accepted and that there be a transfer of property.  If you have a letter
from the donor (dead or alive) that says "I am giving you this widget" and a
letter from the Museum that says "Thank you for the wonderful widget" and
you have the widget, then your legal requirements are fulfilled.  Our
in-house museum policies and procedures may call for a signed Deed of Gift,
but the law doesn't.

Janice Klein
Registrar, The Field Museum