From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 08:55:15 -0700
--- Joann Lindstrom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I took a tour of a historic home recently and was told by the guide that old
> homes often do not have closets for a specific reason.
>
> Before I relay the reason given to my group, I would like to hear from those
> of you who may know--what do you tell the public about the lack of closet
> space at your historic sites?

How old is the house? I thought that originally it was because of the "room
tax" and closets were considered rooms. Thus houses were built without a lot of
closets to avoid the tax and people used wardrobes. Plus, it's easier to build
a room without a closet, especially if people don't have a lot of clothes to
begin with and wardrobes to boot. Old habits die hard, especially in
architecture. Even today in the UK, you have to specify closets in rooms. The
houses/flats aren't automatically built with them. (Or at least was the case
with my friend's new flat that was built recently. She even had to finish the
molding and the trim and install the appliances. Egads.)

Deb