Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 17:16:45 GMT
In talking with a designer about our problems getting good quality
photographs of museum artifacts to use in our publications (we don't have
a photographer on staff), the designer said she probably could get
professional photographers to donate some time to take photos.   However,
she continued, with the new copyright laws on photography, they will own
the photograph and will want to sell them to catalogs.

I told her this was not acceptable to us, since we charge for outside use
of artifact photographs.  Her response was then we probably couldn't get
any photographer to donate time.

Has anyone run into this problem?  I realized that photography is covered
under the copyright law, but I didn't realize that there is a market for
photographs of individual artifacts.

Paulette Fox
Public Relations Manager
Tennessee State Museum