From:
"Matz, Janelle H" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:22:58 -0900
C-
I have recently addressed a similar problem, when we decided to use four
digit year acc. No.s, for the sake of the computer to avoid potential
problems with Y2K (remember that one?), and also to be more consistent
and accurate.
We decided that the numbers as written on the pre-2000 objects could
remain as is; it really is not confusing.  But the computer database
needed to be reconciled.  Our program is a home-grown Microsoft Access
database, so I was proficient enough to write (with all the usual
precautions) an Update Query to change the Accession number from a two
digit year to a four digit one.  If by any chance you use an
Access-based database, I could attempt to "talk-you-through-it".
Otherwise find a guru that knows your program; it shouldn't be difficult
to do.
Janelle Matz
Collections Manager
Anchorage Museum of History and Art