From:
Ralph Calhoun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 09:50:11 -0600
Thanks for the responses thus far to my
inquiry on printing activities in
exhibits.

To: Ellen-No we did not purchase a Barry
Moser Pennyroyal Caxton Bible. I saw one
the other month in New York and wish now
that we had. I plan to look into getting
one but I don’t know if any are still
available. Our exhibit will focus on the
Arion Press Folio Edition Bible, which
has recently been finished and is
currently being hand bound. Only 400
copies were made. Arion Press is located
in San Francisco and is actually moving
to the grounds of a museum complex
there. The text of their bible was
generated on computer, then the computer
aided in casting the individual pieces
of type, which were then handset. It was
printed two pages at a time. Except for
the composition of the text the process
is basically what Gutenberg was doing in
the 1440’s.

To: Jay-In my way of thinking there have
been tons of illustrated Bibles
including Chagall, Dore and Moser. In
our collection we have Bibles or books
of the Bible, which have been
illustrated and or printed by numerous
artist. We have a Jerusalem Bible
Illustrated by Salvador Dali, Psalms by
Ben Shahn, Genesis by Jacob Lawrence,
and Revelation (the Apocalypse) by Jim
Dine, just to name a few. Much of it is
very contemporary.

To: Carol and Matthew-Thanks, I have
already purchased some rubber stamps.
Some of Celtic design which can then be
colored with watercolors or pens. I used
to operate a foot powered printing press
at the High Point Museum on special days
and I know what a mess clean
up--especially when not properly done—so
what I am hoping to find is some middle
ground.

Well thanks everyone. I think I’ll go
get a Coke and drink it in the