From:
"Hoffman, Jill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:59:32 -0500
Hi Wesley,

 Regarding your question about board member donations, I can give you a response from my experience as a museum director at two very different museums.

Both museums requested, at a minimum, that board members purchase memberships to the museum, at whatever level the board member felt they could comfortably afford.

At one of the museums I worked at it was also understood that a "range amount" was expected from board members, and this was an amount beyond the membership.
But the value of the donation (beyond membership) was more important than an actual dollar amount.

In other words, if board members were "expected" to give, for example, $5,000 beyond their membership dues, that did not mean that an individual board member had to hand over a check, or even make monthly installments, that totaled that target amount.

If in-kind services totaling that amount were received by the museum from, or because of, the board member, or if the board member donated something of equal value for the annual auction, etc., that action was just as valuable and was considered to fulfill the "range amount".

 This was of great help in the situation that the personal incomes of board members varied so widely; some individuals had tens of millions of dollars and others had very meager incomes. Obviously, a person can have tremendous value for a board/museum beyond financial means, and the "adjustment" for considering other kinds of giving was a great help in such an instance.

All best to you with your board!

Jill Hoffman, Ph.D.
Helen DeVitt Jones Curator of Education
and
Faculty, Graduate Museum Science Program,
Museum at Texas Tech University
Lubbock, Texas
806-742-2432