From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 07:10:33 -0700
Nicholas and I often do not concur, but I believe he
is right on here.

I was nervous about having the subject of the war
infuse itself into these conversations early on
because of the aspects of nationalism and what they
could invoke.

But this has been some of the most thought provoking
dialogue.

Yes, there have been a few uncomfortable notes, but I
found my delete key still functions incredibly well.
I skimmed and, when I felt it best to just ignore
them, they went to alphabet heaven.

--- Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> Most of the discussions in the past few days have
> been about the need for
> preserving cultural heritage items in a time of
> military conflict. That is
> not a strictly political question, and is one very
> much suited to a list
> dedicated to the museum profession. Views ranged
> widely regarding the
> responsibility of an invading army in protecting
> cultural items of the
> country it invades. Much specific and credible
> information came out of this
> discussion, including the obligations that nations
> have under international
> law. On the whole the discussion has been civil and
> informative. There have
> been a few unfortunate expressions of emotion but
> that is to be expected in
> such a discussion. I would not support
> self-censorship unless folks really
> begin to go off base. Healthy disagreement and
> debate are part of an active
> civil society it is only dictatorships that fear
> debate.
> N.Burlakoff

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414