Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:44:03 -0500
(This is not a flame.)

In my experience, general contractors or construction management
organizations that do this type of thing estimate costs based on
specific tasks and trades - such as the area cost for poured in place
concrete decking, or the area cost installed of Lambda-output graphics.
I would venture to guess that Exhibit Works does that type of
estimating as well, and uses a schedule of said costs when preparing a
quote.

In my experience, sending a well documented RFP, with 100% design
drawings and specifications, to multiple well-qualified firms will
return a range of responses. I have seen that range vary by more than
100% on multi-million dollar values among US firms.

If a square foot of the reified concept "exhibition" could possibly be
quantified, it would then be reasonable to expect that three or four
production firms responding to the same information would return
similar quotes. Conversely, averaging the range of responses cannot
serve a useful purpose.

In fact, there are variables not comprehended by an abstract 'cost per
square foot' (or 'cost per square meter' for the rest of the world). I
cited one type of variable.

An earlier post in this thread suggested drawing up a schedule of
included elements and estimating those categories as an alternative to
the $/SF illusion. That suggestion aligns more closely with how the
real world functions.

However, I maintain my earlier critique of the (<500 word)
Exhibitionist article, Gene Dillenburg's protest notwithstanding.
Unsubstantiated references to 'informants' does not make a convincing
argument and the estimates cited ranged from $120/SF to $550/SF. As I
said earlier, 'brief to the point of useless.'

L.D.