From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 14:46:25 -0400
I would hope that the idea of education for the sake of knowledge is not
"retro"-whatever that means, on the other hand there is such a thing as
professional training.

In an ideal world undergraduate degrees would be truly educational-in the
sense of teaching general skills, enabling one to explore fields and
knowledge systems, allowing for pure pleasure in knowledge and to help
expand creativity. Graduate degrees, on the other hand, are  more geared
towards professionalization.  Does one need a degree, particularly a Museum
degree, to become a good museum professional? No! But it helps to have such
a degree to get hired (folks tend to be lazy and it is easier to assume that
someone who has an advanced degree knows their stuff instead of testing this
premise). Professionalization can be a good thing, although most often it
helps kill the creative impulse (once you are in the box it is hard to think
"outside the box").

If you want to become a museum professional, want to start at a higher than
entry level salary range, and want to learn the core concepts of your
profession, then an advanced degree is good. Hopefully your undergraduate
days have educated you pretty well.
n.burlakoff