From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:39:36 -0600
Mary,

I am unaware of any institutions that are successfully trying such a thing,
but will look around. The Canada Science and Technology Museum has a big
exhibition up through March 04. You might check with them on the
feasibility issues. I also think the Leonardo Da Vinci Museum is trying it,
but I can find no hard facts.

However, several points you might want to consider. As excellent an idea as
it is, it is going to take some seriously huge fuel cells to run a building
continuously, depending on what your power requirements will be. They do
require serious and professional maintenance, as well as regular hydrogen
deliveries. They are excellent backup systems for power outages and the
like, and they would certainly be valuable demonstration tools in your
institution. I am sure they would work for your application, but you will
need to have backup.

I would strongly suggest you push for the "partial" powering of your
facility with the cells. I also recommend that you make sure your facility
is fully integrated into the traditional power grid, no matter what your
internal power capabilities. That could be easily overlooked.

You may be able to get some serious funding, if you have not already, from
the DOE or the automobile/fuel cell manufacturers for trying such a thing.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Mary Catherine
             Bluder
             <curator@AMERICAO                                          To
             NWHEELS.ORG>              [log in to unmask]
             Sent by: Museum                                            cc
             discussion list
             <[log in to unmask]                                     Subject
             SE.LSOFT.COM>             Fuel cell buildings

             01/05/2004 01:04
             PM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

I am working with America On Wheels, a transportation museum which will
open its first building in 2006 in Allentown, Pennsylvania. There is some
interest in using hydrogen fuel cells as a full or partial power-source
for the building. There is a thematic tie-in, as AOW's exhibits will
explore alternate fuels for transportation, but we have a lot of questions
about using such new technology.

Can anyone recommend a public building using fuel cells? Possibly even a
museum? References are greatly appreciated.

Mary Catherine Bluder

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).