From:
"Simmons, John E" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 23:55:05 -0500
I would like to comment on these statements:

"It would be interesting to see if our colleagues would actually address this issue in a more public forum. I wonder, if to "diss" accreditation would be seen as disrespecting the AAM."

"Are we afraid of critiquing those we deem to be above criticism?  It seems this list is about sharing our experiences so we can help each other, whether these are big issues or small ones.  I really appreciate these sorts of posts that take on potentially touchy questions and hope listers will contribute to them."

I have had a lot of dealings with AAM, although not on Accreditation (unfortunately, the administration of the museum I work for does not see the value in process).  By way of disclaimer, I have served many times as a MAP peer reviewer, I am a member of the PRAC committee, and have published in Museum News and authored an AAM book.  In my experience, AAM does welcome criticism and, in fact, often solicits it.  I think the key is to remain cordial and collegial when criticising so that the atmosphere is constructive.  No one, and no organization, should be above legitimate criticism so I think your concerns about Accreditation should be presented to the folks at AAM.

--John

John E. Simmons
Collections Manager, Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
and
Director, Museum Studies Program
University of Kansas
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard