From:
Robin Trotter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 16:55:40 +1000
>Hi there
>
>Since the issue of repatriation of human remains has come up, I thought
>this was a good time to put in this requests.
>
>A friend is teaching an anthropology course and would like to include
>discussions of this issue. Can any body recommend articles on the issue
>of repatriation of both skeletal and cultural remains, emphasis on the
>latter. Since this is an academic course, I think that he is looking for
>papers debating the ethical/cultural/moral issue etc rather than the
>current legislation around the world. SA is rather behind in this respect,
>despite the recent pat on the back we gave ourselves due to the
>treatment of skeletons found at a Zimbabwe type site in the Kruger Park
>
>Thanks very much for your help
>
>Kathryn

For Kathryn (and anyone else interested in this subject):

Try Memoirs of the Queensland Museum (Australia) special issue - 'Museums
and Citizenship: A Resosurce Book' which contains a chapter by Donna
McAlear on this issue : 'First Peoples, Museums and Citizenship'.  McAlear
deals specifically with cultural heritage and relationships between museums
and first peoples with focus on comparison of Australian and Canadian
practices and case studies from each.

Robin Trotter
Australian Key Centre for Culture and Media Policy
Faculty of Humanities
Griffith University
Nathan.   4111

Phone:  07 3875 7338