From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:28:12 -0500
Absolutely!  Museum interpreters and crafts persons must take the initiative
to engage visitors - every one of them.  I recall visiting a now-prominent
living history museum before becoming its executive director.  Not one of
the people in costume struck up a conversation.  My effort to do so
sometimes got a yes or no response but no real description of what they were
doing.  One positioned himself where could not be approached easily.

The problem turned out to be one of supervision.  They had none.  That
changed quickly.
Ross Weeks Jr.