From:
Cass Karl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2012 12:11:09 -0500
Randy,

If I am not mistaken, under US law one cannot be prosecuted for
misprision unless they actively conceal the illegal activity.  Failure
to report a felony is not enough to prosecute under federal law.  Now,
if Nina would exhibit the items and knowingly misrepresent them as
having been collected legally, *that* would be misprision.

On 6/1/12, Randy Little <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Why would Photo's of illegal object be any different then having the
> illegal objects?  The curators know's its Illegal and I am thinking
> already in jeopardy of misprision.  As is everyone on this list now
> that we know she knows about this very illegal activity.  Being asked
> how to avoid prosecution of the law can very easily make everyone here
> in violation of misprision at the federal level.   A FELONY ON US as
> well as Nina (in the US of course)
>
> Randy S. Little
>

> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Jacob Hildebrandt <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>> As someone who was starting on an art project that involved international
>> dirt samples, I would like to thank everyone here for the advice.  I guess
>> will have to go a different route...
>>
>> As to the actual issue at hand, as a viewer I would say photographs of
>> the
>> collection would be the next best thing to actually having the objects.
>> usually prefer reproductions, but in this case I think something would
>> definitely be lost.
>>
>> --Jake Hildebrandt
>> www.jakehildebrandt.com
>>

>> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 8:03 PM, lucysperlin <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Many years ago my former museum mounted an exhibit on the same topic…why
>>> people collect. It included children’s collecting, collecting for
>>> monetary
>>> increase, collecting for sentiment, collecting for perceived beauty, and
>>> bunch of other aspects of collecting.  One section (pertinent here) was
>>> titled  “Illegal Collecting”…..it pointed out what it is illegal to
>>> collect
>>> and offered alternatives such as photographing said items.  I wonder if
>>> you
>>> could show part of her collection (the part that was legally collected).
>>> It
>>> certainly would be interesting to most people to think of soil as
>>> something
>>> illegal to collect.  In fact, I think that it is fairly important to
>>> address
>>> illegal collecting in such an exhibit…..
>>>

>>> Lucy Sperlin

>>> e-mail.  If this naturalist had illegally transported a cultural