From:
"Killeen, Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 09:51:57 +1000
As part of a small discovery area, designed for children 3-8 years in
the Children's Museum, Museum of Victoria we constructed a pictorial
ruler for children to measure their height against that of some
dinosaurs.

Alongside the numerical height measurements were images of dinosaurs and
other animals children are familiar with to give them a point of
reference and comparison, ultimately addressing the notion that not all
dinosaurs were huge creatures, but that they themselves were are
actually taller (bigger) than some dinosaurs were.

In an earlier reply, Janelle mentioned the idea of providing children
with a image or mural they could poke their head through and have a
photo taken. This is an idea used often, but few use mirrors to allow
children to see themselves with their new identity. If you are going use
this approach, it would be great to also include a mirror. If floor
space is limited, I have also seen mirrors used for this purpose
suspended from the ceiling, so that you could look up and see yourself
looking like a dinosaur while keeping the mirror off the floor, keeping
valuable floor space free.

Hope this helps.

Scott Killeen
Project Officer