From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:57:37 -0500
Greetings:

I'd like to veer into another important matter involving governance of a
stewardship institution.

I believe that museums and other non-profits that govern "openly" are
adhering to our highest ethical obligation as institutions having a public
trust.  When governing boards operate behind closed doors, they are
violating that ethic.  When they encourage participation in their
deliberations by ranking staff, those boards accept that in the USA, by our
ideals we are obliged to have participative governance.  Museums should help
lead, set an example.

My view is that ordinarily, a paid staff member of a non-profit organization
should not be on its governing board.  However, this issue (among many
others) needs to be viewed on a case-by-case basis.

Corporate executives routinely serve on their boards.  They usually are not
on the committees that establish compensation plans, etc.

In small communities, non-profits may need to overlook what might be seen as
a conflict of interest elsewhere.  There are only so many committed people
to go around in grassroots USA.  If a staff member of a museum also happens
to have unparalleled community contacts or a good "ear to the ground,"
there's much to be said for having that person on its governing board.

In the course of 33 years of working with institutional boards, I have found
that when they meet openly and encourage staff participation, their work is
much more effective.  Closed-door boards, just by being closed, foster
speculation, worry, and devious behavior within the boards themselves.

This museum, in smalltown USA, has an excellent board consisting of people
from many communities, different walks of life.  One of the board members,
whose second term will soon expire, became our educational director five
years ago at my specific initiative.  The board had nothing to do with this
appointment, except to accede to my recommendation.   I experience no
tension as the result of this "conflict."

At my initiative, the board changed its bylaws to remove my position from
being an "ex officio" member of the board.  Instead, it agreed to meet
openly with all of our small staff.  Yesterday's meeting was so productive,
and so affirming to staff and board themselves, that I joked today that we
might have created a "cult" here.  After seven years of getting accustomed
to speaking openly, the board is finally comfortable.

Ross Weeks Jr.
Tazewell VA