From:
Rhonda Kohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:14:03 -0400
Actually there were three European countries that colonized North America:
England, France, and Spain.  All three used different methods with Native
Americans.  It was the English that enslaved, slaughtered, and destroyed the
indigenous cultures in the Northeast and Central states.  England wanted the
land and resources, and nothing stood in her way, not even human lives.
France pretty much left the Native American cultures and their peoples alone
except for trade.  The Spanish were just as vicious as the English, but they
justified the destruction of Native American cultures because they were
unchristian.  The Spanish destruction was to save the Native American souls
by converting them to Christianity.  Destroy a people's religion, and you
destroy the culture.  But it was the federal government of the United
States, not Europeans, that finally destroyed the cultures, raped and
massacred Native Americans, confiscated land, and sent the Five Civilized
Tribes on the Trail of Tears to Oklahoma.  Though the federal government
treated Native Americans with contempt, they were never enslaved and used as
fodder to support social and economic institutions as were Blacks.

RMK