From:
Stacy Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 1994 17:50:00 BST
        I think that Jan makes a good point about the Reenactor's attention
to material details and the (good) living history museum's focus on getting
the story straight, conveying accurate information, having accurate dress
and accoutrements, AND using the right body language and communications
skills with the visitor.

        Jay Anderson's book gives an excellent overview of the different
"players" in living history.

        For an interesting--and humorous--view of how an outsider (neither a
museum person nor a reenactor) looks at reenactors, see Tim Clark, "When the
Paraders Meet the Button-Counters at Penobscot Bay," YANKEE MAGAZINE: 44/7
(July 1980), 44-47, 129-143.

        My own writings have been on the subject of how first-person
interpreters communicate with their audiences. One article should be in an
upcoming Association for Living Historical Farms and Agricultural Museums
ANNUAL, another is a self-published book, "Communicating in First-Person:
Perspectives on Interpreter/Visitor Interaction," now being revised and
expanded for formal publication.

Stacy F. Roth