From:
Chris Noessel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 18:29:33 +0200
In fact, my (now extinct) company did just this thing for a children's
grocery exhibit way back around 1994 for the Children's Museum of Houston in
the Ray and Lillie Cullen Investigations Gallery. We had a picture of the
food guide pyramid on screen which kids filled in with their food choices.
You can contact someone at the museum and ask them how it's working for
them, and whether they could sell you a copy of the software (no commission
here, they bought the rights.) http://www.cmhouston.org/contact/contact.htm

Another thought is to avoid barcode technology altogether, and use RFID
technology. It uses radio wave fields to uniquely identify objects and
doesn't wear off or require reprinting.

I co-wrote a paper on RFID tech last year, and have a for-museums addendum
that I wrote myself. Let me know if you'd like a copy.

Chris Noessel
graduate student
Interaction Design Institute Ivrea
http://www.interaction-ivrea.it/c.noessel/